Wednesday, August 28, 2013

High Intensity Interval Training

High Intensity Interval Training


Short on time, not getting your desired results or just need a change of pace? Interval Training, specifically High Intensity Interval Training
(H.I.I.T.) may be just the answer.

What is H.I.I.T.?
H.I.I.T. involves short bursts of high intensity activity followed by a less intense version of the activity. For instance, if you are running on a treadmill or an elliptical trainer, you would increase the speed or incline for a short period of time followed by a period of active recovery where you slow down or reduce the incline for a short period of time. Repeating this cycle for a specified amount of repetitions or time.


What are the benefits of H.I.I.T.?
There are several benefits to H.I.I.T. over long slow distance cardio (steady state cardio) workouts. Research shows that your body burns fat at a much higher rate than steady state cardio workouts. Because you are working so hard during the intervals, your body reaps the benefits of the workout for several hours after you finish. When you finish your H.I.I.T. workout, your body still requires increased calories and oxygen to return your body back to it's resting levels, thus increasing your ability to burn body fat for a longer period of time than steady state cardio.


Due to the high speed movements, and power output, your body builds muscle during H.I.I.T. whereas during steady state cardio you can actually lose muscle.


Finally, you can use H.I.I.T. to save time. H.I.I.T. can be and should be done in a short amount of time. If you can keep up the high intensity level during your intervals for more than 20 minutes, you need to increase the intensity.


How do I do H.I.I.T.?
There are several different methods you can try, but I?ll start with the basics. First, you need to decide the variable you want to manipulate whether it is speed, incline, or resistance. Then you need to decide your work to rest ratio of the intervals.


For a beginner, on a treadmill or an elliptical I would recommend jog/walk intervals. After a 3-5 minute warmup, the goal would be to jog as long as you can. When you notice your speed reducing or form compromising, slow down to a walk. When you feel like you can jog again do it until you need to walk. Repeat for 20 minutes or so.


For more advanced trainees, after your 3-5 minute warm up you can do sprints, hills or hill sprints. Go as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then slow down to a moderate pace for 60-90 seconds. Repeat for 20 minutes or so.


As the workouts get easier you can progress them by increasing the speed, incline or interval duration, number of intervals or by reducing the rest interval duration.


H.I.I.T. is an incredible method for improving fitness in a short amount of time, however, it also can be quite taxing on the body. Make sure to ease into a new program and gradually increase the workload over time.


Dan Lawson
NASM CPT, CES

7 comments:

  1. Hello Dear It has been very nice post. so i have got more information from this post. i hope it will be very very working for me in future.
    Thank u very much. google

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are plenty regarding inquiries that come in place in terms of if using the services of a Personal Training Boca Raton can be right for an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are various people who are living in canada and want to apply for green card or renewal of the visa for canada. Although, there are various immigration offices in canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortbildung Sexualtherapie Quantum technology provides established of which strength can be non-local, therefore one particular does not need to maintain near proximity so that you can get blessings through prayer, sense strength changes, accept enjoy from the distant associate, take advantage of strength treatments by means of mobile phone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post. treadmill exercise is really a useful for health. It is one of the best useful method for exercise. www.ahealthdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to do this on my gyms precor treadmill. However, it takes 12 seconds to transition between 6km/hr to 12km/hr, defeating the hiit!

    Other treadmills do it in 5seconds? Any ideas on what's the issue?

    ReplyDelete